Saturday, September 11, 2010

ScreenFlow 2 Update

Recently I wrote about the wonderful ScreenFlow software program for doing recordings of what's on your screen to create screencasts. One of the best features of ScreenFlow is the editing environment after you've recorded what's on your screen. In addition, ScreenFlow is great for making different sorts of multimedia products. For example, you can add still images, other video (e.g. from a Flip camera), and other audio to your original screen capture product.

However, what if you want to use ScreenFlow for creating multimedia where you don't need any screen capture video? Does it still work well? The answer is yes! There is a trick to get this to work easily—the trick is needed because when you start up ScreenFlow it will assume you want to start recording a new screen capture. You can close this recording window, but you have no way to start off with a blank project. That's where having a template comes in handy! I recently created a ScreenFlow project template that I named "ScreenFlow 1024 Template." This just tells me the size of the template is 1024 x 768 pixels. When I open it up there's only one media element in it: a Photoshop document of a scanned image. I can now easily add other media elements: audio, video, images. I can also easily delete the one starter image. Voila, now I have a very quick way to start a new multimedia project in ScreenFlow without having to take a bunch of extra steps.

Except for projects that involve a large number of images (40 or more), I'll likely be using ScreenFlow for all my multimedia projects now. (For those projects with large number of images I'll use FotoMagico Pro as it handles them better.) If you'd like a copy of my template, send me an email and I'll provide a link so you can download it. Of course, you'll need to have ScreenFlow itself installed on your Mac computer!

No comments:

Post a Comment