Saturday, September 18, 2010

iTunes Rocks the iPad

I quickly found that there's a lot that I want to do with the iPad that I can't do if I don't know how to use the free iTunes software to sync between my "pad" and my computer. You can probably get around just fine with transferring documents such as PDFs without knowing a lick about iTunes. But it really helps if you become iTunes savvy if you want to fully maximize using photos, music, and videos.

About a month ago I created a 14 minute movie that goes over various aspects of why and how you'd want to use iTunes. You can download that 85 Mb movie here:

I have a lot of documents I work with on my 16 Gb iPad but documents currently account for only 0.4 Gb of my available space. Photos and audio currently take up 1 Gb of space, and videos are taking up 10 Gb of space. You can see that in my case I'd want to be able to get photos, music, and video easily on and off my iPad so I could look, listen, view a variety of things. On the other hand, if you only have documents on your iPad there's a big, big, big chance you're not really using the device to its full and beautiful capacity.

To me the iPad, at heart, is a fantastic multimedia device. Documents (with annotations and more) are a bonus, but multimedia (lights, cameras, action!) are the heart of the power of this small dynamo.

Of course the other alternative is to rely on choppy YouTube videos. You know what I mean: watch 30 sections, wait a minute, watch 30 more seconds, wait another minute. That's soooo 1990s. And those videos are generally not great quality. But with a bit of knowledge you can get full beautiful videos on your iPad that play flawlessly since you're not relying on an internet connection. In fact, once you learn how to use iTunes with your iPad, you can put the movie I created on your iPad for easy review in the future (hint: it comes with chapters so you can easily go to specific sections if you want).

No comments:

Post a Comment